The Medmastery Show - Episode #12: Judson Brewer | Mindfulness in Medicine
In this interview, Judson explains how we can use mindfulness for ourselves and our patients to help us become happier and more fulfilled in our jobs and daily lives.
Today’s guest is Judson Brewer MD an internationally acclaimed psychiatrist and mindfulness expert from Yale. His talks at TED and TEDMED on the use of mindfulness techniques in medicine have hit over 5 million views.
You can listen to our conversation in one of three ways:
- You can subscribe to the show on iTunes (recommended)
- You can download the audio file
- You can listen to it on the bottom of this page
Dr. Brewer has developed and tested novel mindfulness programs for addiction, including both in-person and app-based treatments.
In this interview, Judson explains how we can use mindfulness for ourselves and our patients to help us become happier and more fulfilled in our jobs and daily lives. Among other things, we’ll cover:
- What is mindfulness and how you can use it in your life and patients
- What are the differences between the most common forms of meditation
- Why mindfulness is over five times more effective than traditional addiction therapy
- How Judson meditates
- Why you are probably addicted and what you can do about it
- Why you need to start meditating and how to do it
- And much, much more
Books and other resources discussed during the interview (in chronological order)
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana - Find it on Amazon
- When Awareness Becomes Natural by Sayadaw U Tejaniya - Find it on Amazon
- Judson Brewer's Website