Today I’m back with a great guest. His name is Dr. John Harper. He’s a cardiologist with an interesting passion from Dallas Texas. Read on to learn more...
Here's some more background information:
Dr. Harper is the Chair of Cardiology, at the Presbyterian Dallas Hospital . He was voted “Best Doctor in Dallas” by D Magazine and according to the Guide to top Doctors is among the best physicians in America. He’s a great clinical teacher and spends over 30% of his time teaching residents and medical students at the University of Texas Soutwestern Medical School.
Dr. Harper has a strong passion for all things on the intersection between medicine and literature. So in 2009 he launched a conference entitled “Literature and Medicine”. In this podcast, he will share how you can use literature in order to become a better doctor, a better storyteller, a more empathetic listener and much, much more.
This is a unique conversation with lots of nuggets of wisdom. I really enjoyed it and I hope you will too. So without further ado, here’s Dr. John Harper.
Short stories, Books and Publications discussed during the interview (in chronological order)
- Playing the moonlight sonata from memory by Lawrence J. Hergott - Find it on Pubmed
- The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker - Find it on Amazon
- Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - Find it on Amazon
- Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - Find it on Amazon
- Speeches that Changed the World by Simon Sebag Montefiore - Find it on Amazon
- Microbe Hunters by Paul de Kruif - Find it on Amazon
- The Citadel by A.J. Cronin - Find it on Amazon
- Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis - Find it on Amazon
- Failure and Rescue by Atul Gawande - Read the story in the New Yorker
- The Lost Art of Healing: Practicing Compassion in Medicine by Bernard Lown - Find it on Amazon
- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande - Find it on Amazon
- Customers for Life by Carl Sewell and Paul B. Brown - Find it on Amazon
- The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson - Find it on Amazon
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss - Find it on Amazon
- Why Pride Matters More Than Money: The Power of the World's Greatest Motivational Force by John R. Katzenbach - Find it on Amazon
- Coronary: A True Story of Medicine Gone Awry by Stephen Klaidman - Find it on Amazon
- Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder - Find it on Amazon
- Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder - Find it on Amazon