What is blood management?
Master the basics of transfusion. Learn about the most commonly transfused blood products, the importance of restrictive transfusion strategies, and how to avoid unnecessary risk.
- What is blood management? intro
- Getting acquainted with blood products
- Introducing Patient Blood Management
- What is blood management? quiz
Ordering a transfusion
Here, you’ll cover the principles of transfusion in critical care, the indications for various blood products, and how to make transfusion decisions in various clinical situations.
- Ordering a transfusion intro
- Determining when to order red blood cells
- Deciding when to order platelets
- Establishing when to order fresh frozen plasma
- Coping with critically ill patients
- Managing surgical patients
- Handling massive transfusion
- Avoiding complications in massive transfusion
- Ordering a transfusion quiz
Choosing the right product
In this chapter, we’ll review the tests that are necessary for obtaining a valid blood group, and what it takes to choose the right blood product in the right situation.
- Choosing the right product intro
- Defining blood groups
- Reviewing the ABO blood group
- Examining the Rhesus blood groups
- Mastering red blood cell compatibility
- Conquering platelet compatibility
- Mastering plasma compatibility
- Choosing the right product quiz
Here, you’ll take a deep dive into the key tests needed to ensure a smooth blood transfusion: blood group typing, antibody screening, and compatibility testing.
- Pre-transfusion testing intro
- Getting to know blood group typing
- Screening for alloantibodies
- Preparing for procedures
- Handling urgent transfusions
- Pre-transfusion testing quiz
Learn how to correctly prepare for and safely perform a blood transfusion. Master pre-transfusion checks, ABO identity tests, and the safe administration of a blood transfusion.
- Safety first intro
- Preparing the tools
- Performing pre-transfusion bedside checks
- Completing the ABO identity test
- Administering the transfusion safely
- Safety first quiz
Know what to do when things go wrong. Here, you’ll learn how to assess common risks and complications, as well as recognize and handle severe, or delayed transfusion reactions.
- Handling complications intro
- Considering risks and complications
- Recognizing acute hemolytic transfusion reaction
- Identifying other severe transfusion reactions
- Managing severe transfusion reactions
- Dealing with mild transfusion reactions
- Spotting delayed transfusion reactions
- Preventing complications
- Handling complications quiz
Manage transfusion medicine curveballs: incompatibilities between mother and child, diagnosing autoimmune hemolysis, and drug-interference with blood compatibility testing.
- Special situations intro
- Screening for hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn
- Preventing Rhesus disease
- Diagnosing autoimmune hemolysis
- Considering daratumumab
- Special situations quiz
Practicing your skills
Infuse your newly acquired skill set with real-world experience by thinking through patient cases in the final chapter of this course.
- Practicing your skills intro
- Assessing an acute transfusion reaction
- Managing a pre-surgical patient
- Treating a pregnant patient
- Practicing your skills quiz
- Transfusion Medicine Essentials outro