Chapter 1. Beginning your presentation
Audience members are often preoccupied. This chapter explains the best way get their attention and describes the key components of a strong beginning.
- Beginning your presentation introfree
- What not to dofree
- Using a grabberfree
- Why you need an overviewfree
- The credibility issuefree
- What's in it for them (WIIFT)?free
- Beginning your presentation quizfree
Chapter 2. Ending your presentation
People tend to remember what they heard first and last, so make your ending count. Here we guide your through a two-step process to create a strong and lasting final impression.
- Ending your presentation introfree
- What not to do
- Key components of a good ending
- Ending your presentation quiz
Chapter 3. Preparation and planning
Never wing it! Preparation and planning are crucial. This chapter highlights how to prepare and plan an effective and engaging presentation.
- Preparation and planning introfree
- Assessing your audience
- Using the analog approach
- Determining your core message
- Harnessing your passion
- Avoiding a data dump
- Preparation and planning quiz
Chapter 4. Designing effective slides
Presentation apps can be powerful tools, but your slides should not overshadow your content. Learn the benefits of simplicity in slide design, and what to include in handouts.
- Designing effective slides introfree
- Visual aid or stand-alone?
- Why simplicity is best
- Displaying data
- Slides versus handouts
- Designing effective slides quiz
Chapter 5. Bringing your content alive
Your audience can only accept so much information without losing focus. This chapter teaches you various ways to engage your audience and keep their attention.
- Bringing your content alive introfree
- Stories and case studies
- Quotes and statistics
- Humor and examples
- Bringing your content alive quiz
Chapter 6. Practice, practice, practice
Great speakers spend many hours practicing to look so effortless. This chapter demonstrates behind-the-scenes strategies for effective practice and delivery of great presentations.
- Practice, practice, practice introfree
- The value of practice
- How to practice
- Getting feedback
- Knowing when you are ready
- Practice, practice, practice quiz
Chapter 7. Managing fear and anxiety
Even the most seasoned speaker experiences some stage fright. Learn how fear and anxiety can not only benefit the speaker but also help prevent a bland and boring presentation.
- Managing fear and anxiety introfree
- The benefits of fear and anxiety
- Reducing pre-presentation stress
- Keeping calm and focused
- Managing fear and anxiety quiz
Chapter 8. Presenting with finesse
Presenting skillfully can be challenging. You will learn how to avoid slide reading, communicate take-away messages, transition effectively, and use valuable software tips and tricks.
- Presenting with finesse introfree
- Connecting with your audience
- Avoiding slide reading
- Determining your take-away
- Planning slide transitions
- Using the B key
- Jumping from slide to slide
- Considering Murphy's law
- Presenting with finesse quiz
Chapter 9. Handling questions
Handling questions can be stressful for some speakers. This chapter shows the best way to get questions from the audience and an effective strategy for answering them.
- Handling questions introfree
- The ABCs of handling questions
- How to get questions
- Handling questions quiz
Chapter 10. Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes
Some speaker mistakes are minor and will go unnoticed; commit any of the seven deadly mistakes, your presentation is doomed to fail! Learn how to avoid these deadly mistakes.
- Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes introfree
- Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes quiz