Learn what POCUS is, who should use it, and when. You will also learn some basic physics and terminology to help you understand the chapters that follow.
- POCUS 101 intro
- Understanding POCUS basics
- Understanding the basic physics of ultrasound
- Understanding the principles of scanning
- Understanding knobology
- Understanding artifacts
- POCUS 101 quiz
Treating trauma patients is very exciting, but always stressful. Here we teach you how mastering POCUS can help you make quick and accurate decisions in your next trauma case.
- EFAST intro
- Understanding POCUS in trauma assessment
- Viewing the right upper quadrant (RUQ)
- Evaluating the left upper quadrant (LUQ)
- Obtaining the subxiphoid view
- Mastering the suprapubic view
- Evaluating for pneumothorax
- EFAST quiz
Performing a point of care ECHO is probably the most important application of POCUS. In this chapter you will learn to perform and interpret a simple bedside ECHO.
- Echocardiography intro
- Understanding when to use POCUS ECHO
- Learning how to acquire the four basic ECHO views
- Understanding contractility
- Understanding pericardial effusion
- Understanding chamber size
- Echocardiography quiz
Inferior vena cava (IVC)
In this chapter you will learn how, with POCUS, you can quickly and easily visualize a patient’s IVC, and assess their fluid status to confidently decide if fluids are needed.
- IVC intro
- Knowing when to perform an IVC study
- Getting and understanding the views
- IVC quiz
In this chapter, we will teach you how easy it is to ultrasound lungs to help diagnose diseases like pneumonia, pleural effusions, pulmonary edema, or pneumothorax.
- Lung ultrasound intro
- Understanding when to image the lung
- Acquiring the eight basic views
- Identifying B-lines and pleural effusions
- Lung ultrasound quiz
POCUS is an indispensable clinical skill. Here you will learn how POCUS can help you save lives, by enabling you to diagnose a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm early.
- Abdominal aorta intro
- Knowing when to scan the abdominal aorta
- Obtaining the views
- Evaluating for abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Abdominal aorta quiz
POCUS can help you determine if your patient’s RUQ pain is biliary colic or acute cholecystitis. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to confidently assess the gallbladder.
- Hepatobiliary intro
- Understanding when to scan the gallbladder
- Obtaining the view of the gallbladder
- Imaging the common bile duct
- Evaluating for acute cholecystitis
- Hepatobiliary quiz
Renal and bladder
In this chapter, we’ll review how to quickly and easily diagnose hydronephrosis using POCUS—preventing unnecessary exposure of your patient to radiation, and saving time and money.
- Renal and bladder intro
- Understanding when to perform a renal scan
- Performing a renal study
- Evaluating for hydronephrosis
- How to measure bladder volume
- Renal and bladder quiz
First trimester pregnancy
Patients with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy often get really sick, really fast—it’s scary and diagnosing it early is key. Learn how to use POCUS to help your patients quickly.
- First trimester pregnancy intro
- Knowing when to scan in first trimester pregnancy
- Performing a pelvic ultrasound study
- Confirming a definitive intrauterine pregnancy
- Evaluating for an ectopic pregnancy
- Determining gestational age
- First trimester pregnancy quiz
With POCUS, you’ll be amazed how simple it is to diagnose eye problems. In this chapter, we’ll teach you how to ultrasound the eye so that eye complaints are a piece of cake.
- Orbital intro
- Knowing when to perform an orbital scan
- Imaging the normal orbit
- Evaluating for critical ocular pathology
- Orbital quiz
Lower extremity study (deep venous thrombus)
With POCUS, in less than five minutes, you can confidently rule out or diagnose an acute deep venous thrombus in any patient. In this chapter, we show you how.
- Lower extremity study (deep venous thrombus) intro
- Understanding when to perform a deep venous study
- Evaluating the femoral region for an acute DVT
- Evaluating the popliteal region for an acute DVT
- Lower extremity study (deep venous thrombus) quiz
Red, hot, tender, soft tissue can mean many things, and sometimes a physical exam is just not enough. In this chapter we teach you how to use POCUS to easily confirm a diagnosis.
- Soft tissue intro
- Knowing when to perform a soft tissue exam
- Identifying normal versus abnormal
- Soft tissue quiz
Ultrasound guided procedures
Ultrasound guided procedures are safer, easier, and more successful. In this chapter, we review some commonly performed procedures and teach you how to use POCUS to guide them.
- Ultrasound guided procedures intro
- Understanding the principles
- Central venous access
- Peripheral venous access (PIV)
- Lumbar puncture
- Ultrasound guided procedures quiz
- POCUS outro