Modes of noninvasive ventilation
In this chapter, you’ll learn the different ways NIV can be applied in the acute setting, how these settings differ, and why that's important.
- Modes of noninvasive ventilation intro
- Mastering continuous positive airway pressure
- Mastering bilevel positive airway pressure
- Deciphering the acronyms
- Modes of noninvasive ventilation quiz
Physiologic effects of NIV
Here, you’ll review the physiologic changes that occur when negative pressure ventilation is changed to positive pressure ventilation, and why this matters.
- Physiologic effects of NIV intro
- Improving oxygenation
- Improving ventilation
- Enhancing pulmonary physiology
- Reducing preload
- Decreasing afterload
- Physiologic effects of NIV quiz
This chapter reviews indications for noninvasive ventilation. You’ll learn how to manage obstructive sleep apnea, apply CPAP / BPAP in pulmonary edema, and more.
- Traditional applications intro
- Managing obstructive sleep apnea
- Applying CPAP in pulmonary edema
- Applying BPAP in pulmonary edema
- Using BPAP for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Traditional applications quiz
Here, you’ll look at controversies around the use of NIV in severe pneumonia, ARDS, asthma, and patients with altered mental status as well as learn how to avoid deadly NIV pitfalls.
- Controversial uses intro
- Treating pneumonia
- Managing acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Managing asthma
- Addressing altered mental status
- Controversial uses quiz
This chapter will cover the use of NIV in patients before and after being placed on mechanical ventilation, and in patients for which mechanical ventilation is not an option.
- Situational applications intro
- Preoxygenating with NIV
- Applying NIV after extubation
- Using NIV in palliative care
- Situational applications quiz
Practical pearls for applying NIV
Many patients have difficulty adjusting to NIV. In this chapter, you’ll learn some tips and tricks for making patients tolerate NIV to reap the benefits of this tool.
- Practical pearls for applying NIV intro
- Choosing the right mask
- Initiating NIV
- Titrating NIV
- Practical pearls for applying NIV quiz
High-flow nasal cannula
High-flow nasal cannula is increasingly utilized as a noninvasive form of respiratory support. This chapter discusses mechanisms and indications for use, and how to avoid failure.
- High-flow nasal cannula intro
- Appreciating high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC)
- Addressing how HFNC works
- Treating hypoxic patients
- Extubating to HFNC
- Predicting failure
- High-flow nasal cannula quiz
- Noninvasive Ventilation Masterclass outro
Bonus lesson (non-accredited)—Noninvasive ventilation for the support of COVID-19 pneumonia
This lesson examines the risks of using noninvasive ventilation in COVID-19 patients, when to consider its use, and how to safely administer it if there are no other options.
- Noninvasive ventilation for the support of COVID-19 pneumonia