Here, you will review renal physiology relevant to lab medicine. You will cover the excretory and endocrine functions of the kidneys, and review the basic steps of urine formation.
- Renal physiology intro
- Reviewing the excretory function of the kidneys
- Mastering the endocrine function of the kidneys
- Renal physiology quiz
Assessing kidney function
This chapter will cover the biochemical parameters we measure to assess renal function. You will learn about GFR, how it's calculated and interpreted, as well as its common pitfalls.
- Assessing kidney function intro
- Measuring serum creatinine
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate
- Recognizing the superiority of cystatin C
- Analyzing an abnormal glomerular filtration rate
- Reviewing the importance of blood urea nitrogen
- Assessing kidney function quiz
Learn all you need to know about urinalysis. You will cover the various components of this method, what to assess, and conclusions you can draw from the results.
- Urinalysis intro
- Assessing the appearance of urine
- Performing a urine dipstick exam
- Examining the microscopic appearance of urine sediment
- Exploring urine casts and crystals
- Evaluating proteinuria
- Reviewing specific urinalysis findings
- Urinalysis quiz
Acute and chronic kidney diseases
In this chapter, you will learn about acute renal failure and chronic kidney disease, how to diagnose them, and the therapeutic options available depending on disease stage.
- Acute and chronic kidney diseases intro
- Identifying acute renal failure
- Diagnosing chronic kidney diseases
- Staging chronic kidney disease
- Acute and chronic kidney disease quiz
- Kidney Lab Essentials outro