Analyzing blood samples
Count on this chapter to master blood analysis. Learn the differential diagnoses based on data from complete blood count studies and the diagnostic utility of bone marrow studies.
- Analyzing blood samples intro
- Interpreting complete blood count (CBC) results
- Ordering a bone marrow exam
- Analyzing blood samples quiz
Classifying and diagnosing anemia
Get to the core of anemia in this chapter. You’ll master the morphological classification of anemias and learn to order the appropriate test.
- Classifying and diagnosing anemia intro
- Categorizing anemias
- Diagnosing microcytic hypochromic anemias
- Recognizing normocytic normochromic anemias
- Identifying macrocytic anemias
- Diagnosing anemias due to bone marrow failure
- Recognizing hemolytic anemias
- Screening for membrane defects
- Testing for enzyme defects
- Identifying extracorpuscular defects
- Assessing for hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias
- Classifying and diagnosing anemia quiz
Deciphering abnormalities on a pathology report
Pathologists frequently mention various poikilocytes and red cell inclusions when reporting on peripheral smears. What do they mean and how do you deal with them? Find out here.
- Deciphering abnormalities on a pathology report intro
- Recognizing the significance of poikilocytes
- Understanding the significance of RBC inclusions
- Deciphering abnormalities on a pathology report quiz
Diagnosing benign white blood cell (WBC) and platelet disorders
In this chapter, we’ll teach you the common differential diagnoses and how to order appropriate additional tests.
- Diagnosing benign white blood cell (WBC) and platelet disorders intro
- Identifying leukocytosis and leukopenias
- Diagnosing thrombocytopenias
- Interpreting tests for thrombocytosis
- Recognizing thrombocytopathias
- Diagnosing benign white blood cell (WBC) and platelet disorders quiz
Differentiating common hematologic malignancies
Know when something isn’t right. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to order the appropriate tests to screen for, and diagnose, common hematologic malignancies.
- Differentiating common hematologic malignancies intro
- Diagnosing acute leukemias
- Confirming chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Identifying chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
- Detecting myelodysplastic syndrome
- Recognizing monoclonal gammopathies
- Diagnosing myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs)
- Differentiating common hematologic malignancies quiz
Coagulation and assessment of hemostasis
In this chapter, you’ll learn how to order and interpret tests to assess hemostasis and platelet function, interpret a thromboelastograph, and explain the coagulation pathway.
- Coagulation and assessment of hemostasis intro
- Reviewing normal hemostasis
- Assessing platelets
- Mastering the coagulation pathway
- Interpretation of a thromboelastograph (TEG)
- Coagulation and assessment of hemostasis quiz
Pinpointing the cause of prolonged clotting
Learn how to use mixing studies to pinpoint the cause of prolonged PT / PTT and investigate bleeding in patients with normal PT / PTT.
- Pinpointing the cause of prolonged clotting intro
- Interpreting the prothrombin time (PT) test
- Interpreting the partial thromboplastin time (PTT) test
- Making sense of a mixing study
- Diagnosing inhibitors of coagulation
- Managing a bleeding patient with normal PT and PTT
- Pinpointing the cause of prolonged clotting quiz
Managing coagulation disorders
The plot thickens as we cover special coagulation disorders. In this chapter, you’ll learn to assess for heparin induced thrombocytopenia, hemophilia, and von Willebrand disease.
- Managing coagulation disorders intro
- Assessing for heparin induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)
- Diagnosing hemophilia
- Understanding von Willebrand disease (VWD)
- Interpreting tests for von Willebrand disease (VWD)
- Managing coagulation disorders quiz
Learn to order appropriate tests to search for the cause of thrombophilia. You will also learn how to monitor the clinical effects of common antiplatelets and anticoagulants.
- Managing thrombophilia intro
- Ordering tests for thrombophilia
- Monitoring the clinical effect of antiplatelet medications
- Monitoring the clinical effects of anticoagulants
- Managing thrombophilia quiz
Managing bleeding in coagulopathic patients
Got a coagulopathic patient with an episode of bleeding? In this chapter, you’ll learn to order the right tests, blood components, and medication to manage them effectively.
- Managing bleeding in coagulopathic patients intro
- Ordering tests for bleeding coagulopathic patients
- Choosing the right blood components
- Selecting appropriate pharmaceuticals
- Managing bleeding in coagulopathic patients quiz
- Hematology and Coagulation Essentials outro