This chapter provides a framework for how to screen, diagnose, and characterize substance use disorders using accurate language.
- Introducing addiction intro
- Using the language of addiction
- Examining the impact of stigma
- Detecting unhealthy substance use
- Introducing addiction quiz
The addiction assessment
This chapter covers conducting an addiction history and physical using nonjudgmental, patient-centered language that assesses for complications of substance use disorders.
- The addiction assessment intro
- Taking a history
- Looking for complications
- Gathering more data
- The addiction assessment quiz
Mastering the neuroscience
Not a neurobiologist? No worries! Here, we’ll help you identify the addictive potential of various substances, accompanying withdrawal states, and pharmacotherapy approaches.
- Mastering the neuroscience intro
- Reviewing the maladaptive neurobiology of addiction
- Grasping pharmacokinetics
- Mastering the neuroscience quiz
This chapter reviews integrating principles of motivational interviewing into conversations with patients to increase engagement in treatment.
- Behavioral approaches intro
- Assessing readiness for change
- Enhancing motivation
- Capitalizing on motivation to change behavior
- Behavioral approaches quiz
Tobacco use disorder
Need to counsel a patient about quitting smoking? This chapter compares and contrasts the available treatment options for tobacco use disorder.
- Tobacco use disorder intro
- Targeting tobacco use
- Replacing the nicotine
- Prescribing non-nicotine treatments
- Tobacco use disorder quiz
Alcohol use disorder
Here, we cover evidence-based medication for alcohol use disorder and safely managing alcohol detoxification in the inpatient or outpatient setting.
- Alcohol use disorder intro
- Identifying alcohol withdrawal syndromes
- Managing alcohol withdrawal
- Prescribing maintenance pharmacotherapy
- Alcohol use disorder quiz
Opioid use disorder
In this chapter, you’ll master the practical differences between buprenorphine, methadone, and naltrexone in the treatment of patients with opioid use disorder.
- Opioid use disorder intro
- Reviewing the benefits of treatment
- Using opioid agonist therapy
- Managing patients with acute pain
- Opioid use disorder quiz
Cannabis use disorder
This chapter will help you distinguish between recreational use of cannabis compared with cannabis use disorder and determine when treatment is warranted.
- Cannabis use disorder intro
- Reviewing the pharmacology of cannabis
- Managing the complications of cannabis use and cannabis use disorder
- Cannabis use disorder quiz
Stimulant use disorders
Here, we’ll distinguish between powdered cocaine, crack cocaine, and methamphetamine as well as the variety of manifestations associated with acute and chronic use of each.
- Stimulant use disorders intro
- Outlining stimulant use disorders
- Characterizing cocaine addiction
- Mastering methamphetamine addiction
- Managing acute intoxication and long-term treatment
- Stimulant use disorders quiz
Club drugs and benzodiazepines
In this chapter, you’ll master identifying the variety of club drug toxidromes and how to effectively treat patients who present with acute intoxication.
- Club drugs and benzodiazepines intro
- Recognizing MDMA use and its complications
- Recognizing bath salt use and its complications
- Recognizing synthetic cannabinoid use and its complications
- Recognizing PCP use and its complications
- Recognizing benzodiazepine use and its complications
- Club drugs and benzodiazepines quiz
Interpreting the urine
This chapter covers interpreting urine drug testing results in the context of opioid prescribing as well as monitoring and reviewing basic drug metabolism principles.
- Interpreting the urine intro
- Incorporating urine drug screening
- Interpreting abnormal urine drug screen results
- Responding to unexpected findings
- Interpreting the urine quiz
- Essentials of Addiction Medicine outro