Background and definition
In this chapter, we cover how ARDS is defined and what the three stages are. We then cover ARDS incidence, risk factors, and differential diagnoses.
- Background and definition intro
- Discovering ARDS
- Diagnosing ARDS
- Studying the pathology of ARDS
- Watching for ARDS risk factors
- Mastering the differential diagnosis for ARDS
- Studying the incidence and prevalence of ARDS
- Surviving ARDS: from bad lungs to better outcomes
- Background and definition quiz
Essentials of ventilator management for ARDS
In this chapter, we will learn the goals of oxygenation and ventilation in ARDS and how to best set the ventilator to avoid injury and optimize chances for recovery.
- Essentials of ventilator management for ARDS intro
- Utilizing low tidal volume ventilation
- Using PEEP in ARDS
- Mastering the goals of oxygenation
- Mastering the goals of ventilation
- Avoiding injury from mechanical ventilation
- Essentials of ventilator management for ARDS quiz
Controversies in ventilator management
This chapter covers current controversies in ARDS ventilator management including ventilation modes, PEEP titration, recruitment maneuvers, and non-RCT evidence.
- Controversies in ventilator management intro
- Determining the optimal PEEP
- Considering the use of driving pressure in clinical practice
- Can using recruitment maneuvers kill your patients?
- Using APRV in the open-lung approach
- Controversies in ventilator management quiz
Treatment strategies in ARDS
This chapter covers many treatment strategies that have been recommended for ARDS, and whether scientific studies could prove their effectiveness.
- Treatment strategies in ARDS intro
- Searching for an effective ARDS treatment
- Starting with steroids
- Using a conservative fluid approach to reduce ventilator days
- Considering neuromuscular blockade
- Using inhaled pulmonary vasodilators
- Including prone positioning in the treatment algorithm
- Considering ECMO in select cases of ARDS
- Treatment strategies in ARDS quiz
Clinical course, prognosis, and recovery
This chapter covers what the disease course looks like in ARDS; how to diagnose, treat complications, and care for ARDS survivors.
- Clinical course, prognosis, and recovery intro
- Appreciating the clinical course of ARDS
- Anticipating complications in ARDS patients
- Implementing strategies for the long-term care of ARDS survivors
- Clinical course, prognosis, and recovery quiz
- ARDS Masterclass outro