This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of CME Consultants and Medmastery GmbH. CME Consultants is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
CME Consultants designates this online enduring material activity for a maximum of 3AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Determine if a patient with respiratory failure is a candidate for noninvasive ventilation (NIV)
- Initiate NIV and optimize its settings
- Switch patients from invasive to noninvasive ventilation and vice versa
- Wean patients from NIV
- Use NIV for acute exacerbations of COPD
- Choose when to use bilevel positive airway pressure (BPAP) and when to use continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP)
- Decide when patients with relative contraindications can be considered for a trial of NIV
- Choose a sedative, when necessary, to assist with NIV tolerance
- Titrate the pressure settings
- Master the clinical variables that predict the failure of NIV
This activity is geared to meet the educational requirements of Internal Medicine Residents, Internists, Hospitalists, Intensive Care Residents, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners.
This activity encompasses the following desirable physician attributes: Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Medical Knowledge, and Practice-Based Learning & Improvement.
The presentational methods for this activity are Lecture and Case Presentation.
Instructions for participation
Each participant must watch all the video lessons, successfully pass all quizzes of this activity with a grade of 70% or higher and complete a post-evaluation form. Once completed, your certificate will be made available immediately for download. If you receive a score of 69% or less, you may retake the quiz until successful.
Hardware and software requirements
Medmastery requires a modern Web browser (Internet Explorer 10+, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome) and the latest version of Adobe Flash. Moreover, a PDF-Reader is required in order to view certain downloads. For questions or technical support, please contact [email protected].
The following planners for this activity have stated they have no relevant financial relationships: Franz Wiesbauer, M.D., MPH; Asha Daigle; Shirley Hutchinson; Clemens Lang, MD; Laura Pacey, PhD; Jessica L. Phillips, MD; Anna Wonnerth, MD; William T. Choctaw, M.D., J.D.; Harold D. Damuth, Jr., M.D.; Lester Holstein, M.D.; Michael Marchiano, M.D.; Nancy Williams; Priscilla Graham; and Stephanie Santos.
Michael G. Allison, MD has nothing to disclose. The course content has been peer-reviewed for content validity and found to be evidenced-based, fair, balanced, and free from commercial bias.
April 9, 2020.
This activity is valid for credit through April 9, 2022.