This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of CME Consultants and Medmastery GmbH. CME Consultants is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
CME Consultants designates this online enduring material activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Recognize which patients are at risk of developing endocarditis.
- Recognize the clinical picture.
- Name the most common organisms involved.
- Identify the causative agent in blood cultures.
- Identify when to obtain blood cultures and how to interpret the results.
- Diagnose endocarditis on echo.
- Summarize the hemodynamic factors involved in the development of endocarditis.
- Explain the concept of nonbacterial, thrombotic, endocarditis (NBTE).
- Describe how NBTE leads to infective endocarditis.
- List the major risk factors.
- Diagnose endocarditis using echocardiography.
- Describe when to perform TEE versus TTE.
- Recognize the range of appearances of endocarditis on echo.
- Identify complications of endocarditis on echo.
- Predict embolization risk using echocardiography.
This activity is geared to meet the educational requirements of internal medicine residents, cardiology fellows, ID fellows, ICU folks, family doctors, emergency medicine residents and faculty, thoracic cardiovascular surgeons and residents, and pediatrics residents.
This activity encompasses the following desirable physician attributes: Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Medical Knowledge, and Practice-Based Learning & Improvement.
Cultural Linguistic Competency and Implicit Bias
Important information regarding Cultural Linguistic Competency and Implicit Bias in CME can be found at: https://cmeconsultants.com/clcandib/.
The presentational method for this activity is Lecture.
Instructions for participation
Each participant must watch all the video lessons, successfully pass all quizzes of this activity with a grade of 70% or higher and complete a post-evaluation form. Once completed, your certificate will be made available immediately for download. If you receive a score of 69% or less, you may retake the quiz until successful.
Hardware and software requirements
Medmastery requires a modern Web browser (Internet Explorer 10+, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome) and the latest version of Adobe Flash. Moreover, a PDF-Reader is required in order to view certain downloads. For questions or technical support, please contact [email protected].
There is no commercial support for this activity.
The planners of this activity have nothing to disclose.
John Fisher, MD, MACP, FIDSA and Andrew Houghton, MA (Oxon.) DM, FRCP (Lond.) have nothing to disclose. The course content has been peer-reviewed for content validity and found to be evidenced-based, fair, balanced, and free from commercial bias.
September 26, 2022.
This activity is valid for credit through September 25, 2024.